Humber Bridge vs. Golden Gate is an interesting comparison to evaluate. Hummer Bridge and Golden Gate are two of the the longest suspension bridges in the world. The suspension bridge is a bridge that has its roadway suspended from two or more cables, usually passing over towers and securely anchored at the ends. It would be fascinating to know about both Humber Bridge & Golden Gate, what made these bridges part of the longest suspension bridges and make a note of where you want to visit next and experience its beauty.
Humber Bridge vs. Golden Gate
Let us look at the following table comparing Humber Bridge & Golden Gate.
|Humber Bridge||Golden Gate|
|29761||May 27, 1937|
|2.22 km||1.6 km|
|UK||San Francisco, USA|
|Bernard Wex OBE||Joseph Strauss & Leon Moisseiff|
|It was the longest single span suspension bridge for 16 years since it opened. It is currently the 8th longest bridge in the world and the longest in UK.||It was the longest suspension bridge at the time of its completion and is considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world. It is the most photographed bridge in the world.|
|120,000 vehicles per week||110,000 per day|
- The Humber Bridge was the longest single-span landmark suspension bridge globally after surpassing San Francisco’s Golden Gate.
- The Humber Bridge is in the United Kingdom. It connects Humber Estuary, Hessle, East Yorkshire, Barton, and North Lincolnshire.
- The central span of the bridge is 1,410m long, while the total length is 2,220m.
- The significant aspect of constructing the Humber Bridge is its ability to contribute to environmental issues by reducing vehicle emissions, as it promotes walking and cycling.
- Humber Bridge was given Grade 1 listed status by Historic England in 2017, making it the most extended listed structure in the UK.
- It held its record of the longest suspension bridge for 16 years. Currently, it is the 8th longest bridge in the world. The bridge is open 365 days.
- It is also the longest bridge that can be used to cover the distance on foot. Humber Bridge provides a breathtaking view, so enjoy a walk across this iconic bridge.
- Golden gate is one of the iconic tourist attractions that people must if in San Francisco. It connects San Francisco to its northern neighbors.
- Golden gate used to hold the rank for longest suspension tunnel, but Verrazano Narrows Bridge surpassed it.
- The Golden gate is considered an ‘engineering marvel.’ The bridge is 1.7 miles long and 90 feet wide. It held the record for longest suspension bridge span till 1964.
- The fog horns at the middle and the south tower of the bridge have different tones and are iconic structures like the bridge itself.
- The bridge’s color, international orange, was chosen partly because of its high visibility in fog and was not intended to be the permanent color. It also held the rank of the tallest bridge until 1993.
Hummer Bridge vs. Golden Gate- A Comparison
Among the two, the Humber Bridge is the longer suspension bridge. It surpassed the Golden Gate of San Francisco. Though the Golden Gate bridge is more popular, the Humber Bridge is longer and also offers a beautiful view. It is also the longest bridge that can be covered while walking or biking. Both bridges held the record for the longest bridge at the time of their construction, but, currently, Akashi Kaikyo Bridge, Japan, has the first rank with a 1,991 m central span.
If you are interested in other architectural marvels, do read the comparison between two amazing towers, the Burj Khalifa & X Seed 4000.