Humans have always been obsessed with the end of the world, and this obsession has continued into the present day. There are myriad theories related to how the world may come to an end. One such scenario includes super-volcanic eruptions that may create massive dust and ash clouds that could block out the sun, turning the earth very cold and lifeless in addition to large-scale destruction near ground zero. Another doomsday theory fears the collision of the earth with another celestial body such as a meteor, asteroid, or comet that could trigger previously unseen tectonic/volcanic activity and tidal waves that could wipe out the human civilization.
The idea that the god’s will is written in the sky was prevalent in the ancient world. Cosmic events were particularly portentous, and it is a notion that persists. KIC 9832227 is the latest such event that is being exploited as an astrological prediction of impending doom.
Scenarios predicting the end of the world in 2022.
I. What is KIC 9832227? How it answers the question Will The World End In 2022?
- In 2017, Calvin College astronomy professor Larry Molnar and his team predicted a rare luminous red nova in 2022 after analyzing KIC 9832227, a pair of tightly bound stars located in the constellation Cygnus the Swan, and supported their own observations with archival data from 1999, as well as data collected between 2007 and 2013.
- Luminous red novae are astronomical phenomena between novae (fusion flares on white dwarf stars’ surfaces) and supernovae (explosive stellar cataclysms).
- Molnar predicted exponential decay of KIC 9832227’s orbital period that will eventually culminate in their merger accompanied by explosions in 2022.2 ± 0.7. These outbursts may go on for months, glowing and throwing visible and infrared light.
- But a later study by another team of researchers led by Quentin Socia, a graduate student at San Diego State University, analyzed Molnar’s original prediction, and concluded that the explosion will not occur as prophesied.
- To prove it, Socia and his team focused on observational data from 1999 to 2007 for KIC 9832227. After scrutinizing previously unpublished data captured in 2003, the researchers discovered an inconsistency between the actual and expected time when the two stars eclipsed each other. They found a mistake in the paper that described the 1999 data that resulted in flawed calculations for the timing of future eclipses by Molnar. KIC 9832227 may eventually achieve a luminous red nova, but perhaps not in 2022.
II. A Comet Strike & How it will end the world in 2022
- Another apocalypse-like scenario in 2022 has been purported by Author J. Anthony Torino, who claims to have found a connection between the Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 (SW3) comet that may strike the earth in 2022 and the prophesies of the renowned seer, Nostradamus.
- He even wrote a book, “The Manifest,” a suspense-thriller fiction, to broadcast this information to the world.
Mankind has a morbid fascination with the end of the world. So people continue dreaming up ways that the world may end. There have been many other claims like the end of this world is imminent in 2027 or 2038.
As it is irrefutable that we began somewhere, it should be just as much obvious that we will end. But is the end imminent? Will the world end in 2022? Maybe it will. Or it may very well be millions of years that humans keep flourishing on this planet. What we can do to stave off the end is reduce waste, live in harmony with nature, focus on sustainable development, and shrink our carbon footprint to keep the earth’s temperature in check.