Many people predicted that the year 2038 would be the time when the world ended. What would the world look like then? How is it going to end? So many questions must pop into your mind. In this article, we shall try to analyse and understand whether the prediction is accurate.
So, let’s dig in and find the answer.
Will The World End In 2038?
So, the next big question is – why this specific reference to 2038? Why is 2038 predicted as the world’s end?
Doomsday predictions are not new and certainly do not apply only to 2038. The world has been predicted to end countless times. The world was predicted to end in both 2022 & 2027. Future predictions are never certain. But can we in any way know if there is any truth in these doomsday claims? Is the world going to end in 2038?
No, the world is not going to end in 2038. Having said that, certain events could cause chaos to a certain extent in that year.
What Will Exactly Happen In 2038?
We will face another crisis like the Year 2000 problem when computers that used two digits for years could not handle the transition into the emerging 21st century.
To fully comprehend the problem of the year 2038, it is necessary to define it fully. This event or potential crisis has been termed the 2038 or Y2K38 issue. In 2038, Y2K38 (which means the Year 2038 problem) is likely to occur due to the limitations of 32-bit processors and those operating systems that run on them.
All 32-bit systems will face a time encoding error in 2038, i.e. the computers will be unable to calculate the time and return an invalid value for time on 03:14:07 UTC on January 19, 2038.
Let’s go in-depth with this particular crisis.
The Y2K38 Issue: Explained
Many around the world are concerned that these machines will eventually crash. Although the world is not coming to an end on 19th January 2038, several problems will arise with digital systems. The following are some of the major challenges that we will be facing in 2038:
- Globally, essential infrastructure systems will go offline simultaneously, including those controlling computer systems.
- Thousands of aircraft may fall from the sky, medical equipment may fail, and nuclear power plants may melt and release radioactive waste.
- Today’s most advanced technology would not be able to calculate dates.
- Mobile devices might become obsolete and have to be disposed of.
While we might be able to deal with losing our mobile devices, imagine an aeroplane without GPS or a car without airbags. The situation could be chaotic.
Can The World Come To An End Because Of This?
Several times in the past, people have spoken of the day a computer apocalypse will be a reality. The computer apocalypse was widely prophesied about 20 years ago, with many insisting December 31, 1999, was the end of the world.
During the seventies, some people warned that computers could not distinguish between 1900 and 2000, the start of the new millennium. A nuclear attack was one of many disasters predicted for that day.
In response, many people went out and bought basic necessities. A few computer failures here and there aside, it was nothing major. Now, there is a new date when some people think all electronic devices and computer systems will stop working.
You don’t have to worry about it. As technology advances, more systems use a 64-bit architecture, which stores information more efficiently. Even though this is not a definitive solution, computer experts are working on one. We are pretty sure that, just as it happened in the year 2000, nothing drastic will happen in the year 2038, and we will continue living our normal lives afterwards.
Other Events That May Happen In 2038
There are various other reasons for 2038 being the judgment year. So, here are a few speculations explaining why:
- The US military will withdraw from the areas conquered in most of the middle east nations, which may lead to a dictator’s rulership and will bring nothing but hell upon its residents. Well, this nation’s dominance process is already in effect now, as the Taliban took over Afghanistan after the US military withdrew its power.
- It’s reported that wildfires will increase between the years 2030 to 2040, which will be the primary source of carbon dioxide emissions, to be expected around 70%.
- Temperatures will increase, which will gradually help various viruses and disease-carrier insects to perish, resulting in something like West Nile Virus, which is not good news.
- People living on the shorelines in various regions will have to move because of the potential risk of regular flooding. This will create an enormous impact on the government and the people.
The list could go on. The quality of life on Earth and its living conditions are rapidly declining. These reasons could be why people feel that the world might end. Still, the possibility of these events happening is slim, and so is the world ending. At the end of the day, these are all speculations.
Continue exploring other predictions – Will the world end in 2027 or in 2022?